Nothing makes us feel more miserable than humidity. When warm air holds too much moisture, it feels muggy and sticky and makes hot days feel even hotter. Humidity not only makes us uncomfortable but also leaves our health at risk and our homes in danger. If you are dealing with humidity issues in your home, it is important to become aware of the risks associated and take action as soon as possible. Continue reading to learn more.
Whether you are experiencing low or high humidity levels in your home, your health is at risk.
Effects of High Humidity on Health
When temperatures are high, our bodies work hard to keep us cool. To regulate our body temperature, our body releases sweat, and when that sweat evaporates, we cool off. However, when humidity levels are high, sweat cannot evaporate and our bodies have to exert much more energy in an attempt to keep us cool.
Some common symptoms associated with high humidity include:
- Muscle cramps
- Heat exhaustion
High humidity levels can also affect your health through indoor air quality. Excessive moisture in your home can encourage the growth of harmful bacteria, viruses, mold, and other biological agents. These pollutants can trigger allergy and asthma symptoms, lead to respiratory infections, and cause other harmful health problems.
Effects of Low Humidity on Health
Just as too much moisture in the air is not good, neither is too little. When your home has too-low humidity levels, you and your family can be left feeling very uncomfortable.
Common symptoms of low humidity include:
- Dry, itchy eyes, throat, and nose
- Dry, cracked skin
Humidity can also affect the health of your home.
Some common effects of humidity on a home include:
- Uncomfortable conditions: High humidity often makes a home feel much warmer than it is. This can make anyone inside feel very uncomfortable.
- Increased energy consumption: Because a home with high humidity feels much warmer than it is, homeowners often end up using the AC to compensate. An AC will use up tons of extra energy as it struggles to keep a home comfortable.
- Higher energy bills: By cranking up the AC and using it to try and combat the seemingly higher temps in a home, a homeowner can drive their energy bills up through the roof.
- Poor indoor air quality: Excessive levels of moisture in the air encourages the growth and spread of harmful indoor air contaminants such as bacteria, viruses, dust mites, mold, and mildew.
- Damage to your home: Humidity can cause paint to peel off walls, wooden floors to become cracked and warped, caulks and glues to weaken, and walls and ceilings to become stained.
How Pyramid Heating & Cooling Can Help
There are a number of things that you can do to combat high humidity levels in your home. At Pyramid Heating & Cooling, our heating and AC experts offer professional humidifier installations. As one of the leading HVAC companies in the industry, we have access to the latest and greatest humidifier equipment guaranteed to enhance your comfort and keep your home safe. Our team is backed by nearly two decades of service experience and knows exactly what it takes to take ensure consistent levels of humidity in your home.
Give us a call at (503) 783-8488 or contact us online to learn more about our indoor air quality services.